- another term for Ge'ez.More example sentences
- As a teenager and adult he studied Hebrew, Arabic, Syriac, Chaldean, Chinese, Coptic, Ethiopic, Sanskrit, Zend, Pahlevi and Persian.
- The translation of the Bible into Latin marks the beginning of a parting of the ways between Western Latin-speaking Christianity and Eastern Christianity, which spoke Greek, Syriac, Coptic, Ethiopic, and other languages.
- Dedicating himself to the study of various oriental languages - including Persian, Ethiopic, Sanskrit, Zend, Pahlevi and Arabic - Champollion also began work on a dictionary and grammar of the Coptic language.
adjectiveBack to top
- In or relating to Ge’ez.More example sentences
- The complete text was thought to have perished when it was discovered in two Ethiopic manuscripts in Abyssinia, by the traveller Bruce in 1773.
- Arabic is a Semitic language related to Aramaic, Hebrew, various Ethiopic languages, and others.
- It was not until 1773 that two Ethiopic manuscripts were discovered in Abyssinia.
mid 17th century (as an adjective): via Latin from Greek aithiopikos, from Aethiops (see Ethiopia).
More definitions of EthiopicDefinition of Ethiopic in:
- The US English dictionary