Definition of Ethiopic in English:
another term for Ge'ez.
- As a teenager and adult he studied Hebrew, Arabic, Syriac, Chaldean, Chinese, Coptic, Ethiopic, Sanskrit, Zend, Pahlevi and Persian.
- The translation of the Bible into Latin marks the beginning of a parting of the ways between Western Latin-speaking Christianity and Eastern Christianity, which spoke Greek, Syriac, Coptic, Ethiopic, and other languages.
- Dedicating himself to the study of various oriental languages - including Persian, Ethiopic, Sanskrit, Zend, Pahlevi and Arabic - Champollion also began work on a dictionary and grammar of the Coptic language.
adjectiveBack to top
In or relating to Ge’ez.
- The complete text was thought to have perished when it was discovered in two Ethiopic manuscripts in Abyssinia, by the traveller Bruce in 1773.
- Arabic is a Semitic language related to Aramaic, Hebrew, various Ethiopic languages, and others.
- It was not until 1773 that two Ethiopic manuscripts were discovered in Abyssinia.
Words that rhyme with Ethiopicbiopic
Definition of Ethiopic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan