Definition of Eucharist in English:
- Worshipers share bread and wine in the Eucharist as a sign of their unity with each other and with Jesus.
- While a great many Christians celebrate the Eucharist, there is some variation as to how the gifts are understood.
- The Eucharist records Christ's breaking of the bread at the Last Supper.
- And most amazing, we get to receive the Eucharist into our spirits, souls and bodies.
- Specifically, he was making the case for allowing divorced and married persons to be allowed to receive the Eucharist.
- But, receiving the Eucharist also means that one is in fact in full communion with Christ and His Church.
The bread and wine are referred to as the body and blood of Christ, though much theological controversy has focused on how substantially or symbolically this is to be interpreted. The service of worship is also called Holy Communion or (chiefly in the Protestant tradition) the Lord’s Supper or (chiefly in the Catholic tradition) the Mass. See also consubstantiation, transubstantiation
- Example sentences
- A training course for Eucharistic ministers is now being undertaken at the Pastoral Centre, Charlestown starting on Wednesday, October 5, at 8pm.
- A Eucharistic celebration for separated people and those who have experienced the loss of an intimate relationship will take place at the centre on Sunday, May 23 at 3pm.
- The Eucharistic vestments in the Church of England date back to late Roman antiquity - the surplice is an enlargement of the late Roman tunic for convenient use over warm undergarments in colder climates.
- Example sentences
- In 1299 they entered the church of Our Lady of the Annunciation and killed the believers during an Eucharistical celebration.
- The Eucharistical hymn performed by our Lord and his apostles, is acknowledged to have been an act of praise and thanksgiving to God.
Late Middle English: from Old French eucariste, based on ecclesiastical Greek eukharistia 'thanksgiving', from Greek eukharistos 'grateful', from eu 'well' + kharizesthai 'offer graciously' (from kharis 'grace').
Words that rhyme with Eucharistartillerist • secularist
Definition of Eucharist in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.