Definition of Fante in English:
noun (plural same or Fantis)
1A member of a people of southern Ghana.
- Getting trained African staff was a problem because the local natives were, generally speaking, much less educated than the Fantis of the Gold Coast.
- Both areas are predominantly Akan speaking, but with some cultural variation between the Fante in the Cape Coast area and the Brong of the Techiman area.
- Many coastal Ghanaian peoples like the Fante, Ga, and Ewe have not forgotten Asante violence against them, even though the national history textbooks celebrate Asante resistance against the British.
2 [mass noun] The dialect of Akan spoken by the Fante.
- While most publications in the Ghanaian and Ghanaian American communities are written in English, some are also written in the Twi dialects of Asante, Fante, and Akwapim and in other languages such as Ewe, Ga, Dagbane, and Nzema.
- I can understand, read, and speak Fante and Twi fairly well but have less intricate knowledge of Ga and Bono.
- This was banned from radio play at the time because the radio stations that couldn't speak Ambolley's language, Fanti, assumed that the song was obscene!
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Fante or their language.
- The image recalls the Bentsir oral tradition about the reaction of the Asante army when they first arrived on the Fante coast from the forested interior.
- A sudden international demand for sugar allowed Jamaica to grow rich and powerful as more and more slaves, mainly Fante, Ashanti, Ibo and Yoruba people, were imported to the island to expand the plantations.
- In 1844, Fanti chiefs in the area signed an agreement with the British that became the legal steppingstone to colonial status for the coastal area.
The name in Akan.
Words that rhyme with FanteAlicante, andante, ante, anti, Ashanti, Bramante, Chianti, Dante, dilettante, Ferranti, infante, scanty, shanty (US chanty), spumante, vigilante, Zante
Definition of Fante in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.