- A member of a dynasty which ruled in parts of northern Africa, Egypt, and Syria from 909 to 1171, and founded Cairo as its capital in 969.More example sentences
- Founded by the Fatimids in 969; Fatimid Cairo contains al-Azhar, the renowned Islamic university.
- In particular, they wanted to take Jerusalem, the city of Jesus Christ, away from the Islamic Fatimids who were ruling it.
- The Fatimids in Egypt were falling apart in the 1150s.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the Fatimids.More example sentences
- He came to Egypt in 1168 as an assistant to his uncle, who was a general and then became the vizier of the last Fatimid caliph.
- Local administration continued with little change, and the country's prosperity is reflected in the richness of Fatimid art and architecture.
- A prolific writer, al-Kirmani was one of the most learned Ismaili theologians of the Fatimid times.
More definitions of FatimidDefinition of Fatimid in:
- The US English dictionary