noun (plural Festschriften or Festschrifts)
- A collection of writings published in honour of a scholar: on his sixtieth birthday he received a Festschrift with contributions from over thirty colleaguesMore example sentences
- The first issue was subtitled ‘A Festschrift in Honor of James Laughlin, Publisher of New Directions.’
- As Benjamin Britten remarked in a Festschrift published on Michael Tippett's sixtieth birthday, the birthday boy can feel that he is ‘already dead and that the musicologists are busy on the corpse’.
- John Beattie, the pre-eminent historian of English crime and punishment, has already been honoured with an excellent Festschrift.
late 19th century: from German, from Fest 'celebration' + Schrift 'writing'.
More definitions of FestschriftDefinition of Festschrift in:
- The US English dictionary