- Relating to the Philippines, the Filipinos, or their language.More example sentences
- Later, journalists tracked him down to the Philippines, but the Filipino authorities were strangely unable to find him.
- However, the US ‘liberators’ of the Philippines would not allow Filipino troops to enter Manila, and refused to let them take part in the formal Spanish surrender.
- Thousands of US soldiers recently returned from the Philippines after training Filipino soldiers.
noun (plural Filipinos)Back to top
- 1A native or inhabitant of the Philippines, or a person of Filipino descent.More example sentences
- And peace is something Filipinos in the southern Philippines have been waiting a long, long time for.
- Catholic priests immediately began to convert the native Filipinos to Catholicism.
- There are many Filipinos teaching in Thai schools around the nation.
- 2 [mass noun] The national language of the Philippines, a standardized form of Tagalog.More example sentences
- The official languages are Filipino, which is based on Tagalog with words from other native languages, and English.
- Among the immigrant population, English, Hindi, Urdu, Farsi, and Filipino are spoken.
- The playwrights quote texts in Filipino, the language of nationalism in the Philippines.
Spanish, from las Islas Filipinas 'the Philippine Islands'.
More definitions of FilipinoDefinition of Filipino in:
- The US English dictionary