Definition of Filipino in English:
Relating to the Philippines, the Filipinos, or their language.
- Later, journalists tracked him down to the Philippines, but the Filipino authorities were strangely unable to find him.
- However, the US ‘liberators’ of the Philippines would not allow Filipino troops to enter Manila, and refused to let them take part in the formal Spanish surrender.
- Thousands of US soldiers recently returned from the Philippines after training Filipino soldiers.
noun (plural Filipinos)Back to top
1A native or inhabitant of the Philippines, or a person of Filipino descent.
- And peace is something Filipinos in the southern Philippines have been waiting a long, long time for.
- Catholic priests immediately began to convert the native Filipinos to Catholicism.
- There are many Filipinos teaching in Thai schools around the nation.
2 [mass noun] The national language of the Philippines, a standardized form of Tagalog.
- The official languages are Filipino, which is based on Tagalog with words from other native languages, and English.
- Among the immigrant population, English, Hindi, Urdu, Farsi, and Filipino are spoken.
- The playwrights quote texts in Filipino, the language of nationalism in the Philippines.
Spanish, from las Islas Filipinas 'the Philippine Islands'.
Words that rhyme with Filipinoalbino, bambino, babycino, beano, Borodino, Borsalino, cappuccino, casino, chino, Comino, concertino, fino, Gino, keno, Ladino, Latino, Leno, maraschino, merino, Monte Cassino, Navarino, neutrino, Pacino, palomino, pecorino, Reno, San Marino, Sansovino, Torino, Trevino, Valentino, vino, Zeno
Definition of Filipino in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia