noun[mass noun] • historical
- The process or result of being obliged for economic reasons to favour, or at least not oppose, the interests of the former Soviet Union despite not being politically allied to it.More example sentences
- By 1981, the Soviets were rushing toward what some characterized as the ‘Finlandization’ of Western Europe.
- ‘The maximum task [for the future],’ he underscores, ‘is the ‘Finlandization’ of all of Europe.’
- The generation over 65 remembered a time before ‘Finlandization’ and the 1939-40 and 1941-4 wars against the USSR.
Finlandize (also Finlandise)
- More example sentences
- Also, note that Syria is now surrounded by the United States and two of its allies - Turkey and Israel, Lebanon being effectively Finlandized and Jordan a minor military power.
- But overall, the US has missed numerous opportunities to de-Finlandize Lebanon.
- But Protestant Pandemonium instead took the former course and tried to Finlandize the Bible to conform to mere human traditions.
1960s: translation of German Finnlandisierung, referring to the case of Finland after 1944.
More definitions of FinlandizationDefinition of Finlandization in:
- The US English dictionary