Definition of Finnish in English:
Relating to the Finns or their language.
- He obtained a PhD in both philology and theology and possessed great knowledge of both the Sami and Finnish languages.
- There's nothing whatsoever guessable about the Finnish language.
- The Spaniard gained almost four seconds on the Finnish competitor, who was chasing him for fourth spot on the leaderboard.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
The language of the Finns, spoken by about 4.6 million people in Finland, and also in parts of Russia and Sweden. It is a Finno-Ugric language related to Estonian, and more distantly to Hungarian, and is noted for its morphological complexity.
- There's an urban myth that you get better service at Helsinki upmarket shops if you speak Swedish instead of Finnish.
- Until he was about eight years old he spoke no Finnish.
- When one of the children spoke Finnish, they were all lined up and had their ears boxed one by one.
Definition of Finnish in:
- US English dictionary