Definition of Fon in English:
noun (plural same or Fons)
1A member of a people inhabiting the southern part of Benin.
- The Fon (founders of the Dahomey kingdom) are the largest group.
- The most obvious African kin of Caribbean religions are the practices of the Yoruba and the Fon.
- Worsening relations between expansionist France and the warlike Fon of the West African kingdom of Dahomey came to a head in 1890.
2 [mass noun] The language of the Fon, belonging to the Kwa group, with about 1 million speakers.
- Fifty percent of the population speaks Fon.
- She is a three-time Grammy nominee who sings in English, French and two African languages, Yoruba and Fon.
- Kidjo sings primarily in the West African languages of Fon and Yoruba.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Fon or their language.
- The puppets wear the clothing and regalia of Fon chiefs, attesting to the interethnic community of Nago and Fon peoples.
- The six Yoruba markings (three on each cheek), and the ten Fon markings (two on each cheek, temples, and forehead) are readily discernible.
- He painted Avlekete, the Fon spirit of the sea, outside, next to the wall of juxtaposed African and African Diaspora Vodun symbols.
the name in Fon.
Definition of Fon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia