Definition of Fourierism in English:
A system for the reorganization of society into self-sufficient cooperatives, in accordance with the principles of the French socialist Charles Fourier (1772–1837).
- A short two years after its induction into Brook Farm support for Fourierism began to diminish.
- In 1844 Chase founded the Wisconsin Phalanx as a group to implement Fourierism in Wisconsin.
- By offering a solution to economic problems, Fourierism brought the Brook Farmers in reach of their goals.
Fourierist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- The difference between the Functionalists on the one hand and the SaintSimonians and Fourierists on the other was that the former did not question the existing social and political order.
- Those who broke away from Enfantin began to call themselves Fourierists, although they no longer attacked marriage.
- While distinguishing between various schools of thought - Functionalist, Saint-Simonian, and Fourierist - Papayanis strongly objects to the conventional characterization of any of these schools as ‘utopian.’
Definition of Fourierism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.