Definition of Free State in English:
1 historical A state of the US in which slavery did not exist.
- They found that, despite California being formed as a free state in 1850, slavery existed in some form.
- Of those, ninety-six existed in slave states, whereas free states contained only fifteen.
- They gathered to press for the admission of Kansas to the Union as a free state and end the extension of slavery.
1.1 (the Free State) informal name for Maryland.
2A province in central South Africa, situated to the north of the Orange River; capital, Bloemfontein. Formerly called (until 1995) Orange Free State.
- The SA Weather Service said on Monday a light dusting of snow had fallen on Ficksburg in the Free State.
- Superintendent Louis Jacobs, police spokesperson, said the suspects crossed over the Vaal River into the Free State early on Sunday morning.
- They lived in the Karoo and southern Orange Free State.
Definition of Free State in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan