- 1 • historical A state of the US in which slavery did not exist.More example sentences
- They found that, despite California being formed as a free state in 1850, slavery existed in some form.
- Of those, ninety-six existed in slave states, whereas free states contained only fifteen.
- They gathered to press for the admission of Kansas to the Union as a free state and end the extension of slavery.
- 1.1 (the Free State) informal name for Maryland.
- 2A province in central South Africa, situated to the north of the Orange River; capital, Bloemfontein. Formerly called (until 1995) Orange Free State.More example sentences
- The SA Weather Service said on Monday a light dusting of snow had fallen on Ficksburg in the Free State.
- Superintendent Louis Jacobs, police spokesperson, said the suspects crossed over the Vaal River into the Free State early on Sunday morning.
- They lived in the Karoo and southern Orange Free State.
More definitions of Free StateDefinition of Free State in:
- The US English dictionary