Definition of French bean in English:
1A tropical American bean plant of which many varieties are commercially cultivated.
- Phaseolus vulgaris, family Leguminosae: many varieties, including the haricot bean and the kidney bean
- That goes for his broad beans, his French beans, his runner beans, his leeks and his lettuces.
- My plan for this year's vegetable plot is therefore rather limited, involving lots of legumes - broad beans, runner beans, French beans and climbing French beans.
- In addition to French beans and runner beans, Turner grows a number of Heritage varieties, ideal in an organic garden as they are more resistant to pests than modern beans.
1.1The seed of the French bean plant used as food.
- All main courses are served with vegetables, which included French beans and carrots, all expertly handled.
- I have spent a busy summer making jam, cutting up runner beans and French beans for the freezer.
- Unfortunately the same could not be said of Jayne's dish - vegetable pancake, filled with spinach, leeks and cream cheese and served with new potatoes, French beans and salad.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.