- A brass instrument with a coiled tube, valves, and a wide bell, developed from the simple hunting horn in the 17th century. It is played with the right hand in the bell to soften the tone and increase the range of available harmonics.More example sentences
- Symphonic instruments like flutes, French horns, violins, clarinets and trombones would be first choice, Wapenaar says, but any musical instrument is welcome.
- But they stipulated that there were to be no drums or even electronic simulations of drums, and no trumpets, although French horns, soprano saxes and electric violins were perfectly okay.
- Webern takes advantage of color ambiguities between instruments - the fact that a trumpet in certain cases can sound like a French horn or an oboe, for example.
More definitions of French hornDefinition of French horn in:
- The US English dictionary