Definition of Freudian in English:
1Relating to or influenced by Sigmund Freud and his methods of psychoanalysis, especially with reference to the importance of sexuality in human behaviour: the Freudian concept of the superego
More example sentences
- Increasingly, however, Freudian psychology was influencing how scholars thought about early childhood and the development of sexuality and masculine and feminine characteristics.
- After his chess career ended, Fine became an exponent of Freudian psychoanalysis, authoring important works in the field.
- But I thought foolishly that Freudian psychoanalysis was deeper and more intensive than other, more directive forms of therapy, so I was trained in it and practiced it.
1.1Susceptible to analysis in terms of unconscious desires: he wasn’t sure whether his passion for water power had some deep Freudian significance
More example sentences
- When I mentioned the story to Bill, he couldn't remember the incident, but added, ‘I'm sure there was some deep-seated Freudian significance.’
- We find ourselves scribbling in large circles, gradually spiralling inwards into a densely layered doodle of no doubt strong Freudian significance.
nounBack to top
A follower of Freud or his methods.
- Freud is often praised by Freudians for his apparent flexibility; for his willingness to alter his theories as psychoanalysis grew and developed.
- Even modern Freudians, or psychodynamic theoreticians, seem to be hampered by Freud's outmoded evolutionary speculations, but still the interest for evolutionary explanations exists.
- For example, Freudians and behaviourists had different methods, but they also had a different agenda.
- Example sentences
- Perhaps the two theories that have been most eclipsed by recent developments are Freudianism and behaviorism.
- Critics discovered in Dracula an almost endless source for readings on Freudianism, Marxism and feminism, the depths of which they plumed with gleeful abandon.
- Today, Freudianism is widely regarded as an example of pseudoscience.
Definition of Freudian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia