Definition of G-man in English:
1US informal An FBI agent.
[ 1930s: probably an abbreviation of Government man]
- The violence problem was overcome with relative ease by shifting from one side of the law to the other, from gangsters to G-men as the agents of male power and authority.
- Not only was he the biggest mystery in the biggest political scandal of the last century, he was a star G-man during the FBI's glory days during the J. Edgar Hoover era.
- But in addition to the G-man at the door, another agent stood off to one side.
2Irish A political detective.
[ Early 20th century: perhaps an arbitrary use of G]
- Napolitano, who headed the crew Pistone infiltrated, disappeared on August 17, 1981 - one month after the G-man ended his assignment.
- This collection serves as the introduction collection to beat all introduction collections on the G-man.
- Michael Collins' best remembered military achievement was the surveillance and assassination of the 13 G-men in the other ‘Bloody Sunday’ which is still a text book example in the literature of insurrection and guerilla war.
Definition of G-man in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.