Definition of G-man in English:
1US informal An FBI agent.
[ 1930s: probably an abbreviation of Government man]
- The violence problem was overcome with relative ease by shifting from one side of the law to the other, from gangsters to G-men as the agents of male power and authority.
- Not only was he the biggest mystery in the biggest political scandal of the last century, he was a star G-man during the FBI's glory days during the J. Edgar Hoover era.
- But in addition to the G-man at the door, another agent stood off to one side.
2Irish A political detective.
[ Early 20th century: perhaps an arbitrary use of G]
- Napolitano, who headed the crew Pistone infiltrated, disappeared on August 17, 1981 - one month after the G-man ended his assignment.
- This collection serves as the introduction collection to beat all introduction collections on the G-man.
- Michael Collins' best remembered military achievement was the surveillance and assassination of the 13 G-men in the other ‘Bloody Sunday’ which is still a text book example in the literature of insurrection and guerilla war.
Definition of G-man in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan