- (1869–1948), Indian nationalist and spiritual leader; full name Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi. He became prominent in the opposition to British rule in India, pursuing a policy of non-violent civil disobedience. He never held government office, but was regarded as the country’s supreme political and spiritual leader; he was assassinated by a Hindu following his agreement to the creation of the state of Pakistan.
- More example sentences
- The song in the background is a lament for the failed Gandhian ideals.
- Socio-political developments in the post-colonial world corresponded with the Gandhian prognosis.
- He is now on a mission to create model villages based on the Gandhian philosophy of self-reliance.
More definitions of Gandhi, MahatmaDefinition of Gandhi, Mahatma in:
- The US English dictionary