- An ancient Semitic language of Ethiopia, which survives as the liturgical language of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. It is the ancestor of the modern Ethiopian languages such as Amharic. Also called Ethiopic.More example sentences
- It has its own script of more than 200 characters, based on the ancient language Ge'ez, used now only in the Orthodox Church.
- Christian music is believed to have been established by Saint Yared in the sixth century and is sung in Ge'ez, the liturgical language.
- Traditionally, boys learn to read Tigrinya, Ge'ez, and Amharic as Bible students.
of Ethiopic origin.
More definitions of Ge'ezDefinition of Ge'ez in:
- The US English dictionary