- Social relations between individuals, based on close personal and family ties; community. Contrasted with Gesellschaft.More example sentences
- He has suggested that such communities preserve a residue of traditional Gemeinschaft amid the more individualistic and impersonal Gesellschaft of modernity.
- Such religions play a crucial role in binding people together into tight Gemeinschaft communities and separating them from other communities.
- But this pre-modern Gemeinschaft conception of an all-encompassing community that members unreflectively endorse seemed distinctly ill-suited for complex and conflict-ridden large-scale industrialized societies.
German, from gemein 'common' + -schaft (see -ship).
More definitions of GemeinschaftDefinition of Gemeinschaft in:
- The US English dictionary