Definition of Google bomb in English:
An attempt to make a search term return a website for an unexpected person or organization when entered in a search engine (typically for satirical or humorous purposes) by the creation of numerous links to that website from pages including the search term: police said the suspect confessed to writing a program to test his skills at creating a Google bomb
More example sentences
- I knew that I'd seen this particular Google bomb before, but couldn't recall where.
- The problem with search engines getting high Google rankings, and the problem with Google bombs, is that they are a response to the success of Google.
- A Google bomb works by putting up hundreds of links to a particular URL and naming it after the search term that people type into the Google search engine.
- 1Google bombing noun
- Example sentences
- The practice of Google bombing is a collective hyperlinking strategy intended to change the search results of a specific term or phrase.
- I suspect that interest in this topic is somewhat lower than interest in googlebombing.
- This is not a proposal to subvert search engines by having researchers engage in google-bombing on a grand scale.
Early 21st century: from Google, the proprietary name of a popular Internet search engine, + bomb.
Definition of Google bomb in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.