Definition of Grand Prix in English:
noun (plural Grands Prix pronounced same)
1Any of a series of motor-racing or motorcycling contests forming part of a world championship series, held in various countries under international rules.
- Three European Grands Prix have also been staged in England, at Brands Hatch in 1983 and 1985, and at Donington Park in 1993.
- Jarno is the only man other than Michael Schumacher to have won a Grand Prix this season.
- Without a doubt, it would be one of the best possible races to win a Grand Prix.
1.2An important competitive event in various other sports.
- Competing in a Grand Prix event in Athens, the Caribbean sprinter clocked 9.77 seconds, to break the existing record of 9.78 set by American Tim Montgomery.
- But this is why I think people expect more - the word ‘Olympian’ has some moral connotations as opposed to just someone who's won a Grand Prix in another event.
- The Swiss Cup, in recent years a Grand Prix tournament for event finals only, reverted to its previous format of mixed-pairs competition.
Mid 19th century: French, literally 'great or chief prize'.
Words that rhyme with Grand Prixabsentee, açai, addressee, adoptee, agree, allottee, amputee, appellee, appointee, appraisee, après-ski, assignee, asylee, attendee, bailee, bain-marie, Bangui, bargee, bawbee, be, Bea, bee, bootee, bouquet garni, bourgeoisie, Brie, BSc, buckshee, Capri, cc, chimpanzee, cohabitee, conferee, consignee, consultee, Cree, debauchee, decree, dedicatee, Dee, degree, deportee, dernier cri, detainee, devisee, devotee, divorcee, draftee, dree, Dundee, dungaree, eau-de-vie, emcee, employee, endorsee, en famille, ennui, enrollee, escapee, esprit, evacuee, examinee, expellee, fee, fiddle-de-dee, flea, flee, fleur-de-lis, foresee, franchisee, free, fusee (US fuzee), Gardaí, garnishee, gee, ghee, glee, goatee, grandee, grantee, Guarani, guarantee, he, HMRC, indictee, inductee, internee, interviewee, invitee, jamboree, Jaycee, jeu d'esprit, key, knee, Lea, lee, legatee, Leigh, lessee, Ley, licensee, loanee, lychee, manatee, Manichee, maquis, Marie, marquee, me, Midi, mortgagee, MSc, nominee, obligee, Otomi, parolee, Parsee, parti pris, patentee, Pawnee, payee, pea, pee, permittee, plc, plea, pledgee, pollee, presentee, promisee, quay, ratatouille, referee, refugee, releasee, repartee, retiree, returnee, rupee, scot-free, scree, sea, secondee, see, settee, Shanxi, Shawnee, shchi, she, shea, si, sirree, ski, spree, standee, suttee, tant pis, tea, tee, tee-hee, Tennessee, testee, the, thee, three, thuggee, Tiree, Torquay, trainee, Tralee, transferee, tree, Trincomalee, trustee, tutee, twee, Twi, undersea, vestee, vis-à-vis, wagon-lit, Waikiki, warrantee, we, wee, whee, whoopee, ye, yippee, Zuider Zee
Definition of Grand Prix in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.