- A seal used for the authentication of state documents of the highest importance. That of the UK is held by the Lord Chancellor and that of the US by the Secretary of State.More example sentences
- Originally, its holder was responsible for the monarch's personal seal (as opposed to the Great Seal of state, which is in the care of the Lord Chancellor).
- The Chancellor's Department dealt with the judiciary and it was also the custodian of the Great Seal to authenticate government decrees.
- Whatever you think of the demise of Hatton's office 400 years later, this week you can visit the house in Croydon where he received his Great Seal.
More definitions of Great SealDefinition of Great Seal in:
- The US English dictionary