Definition of Gullah in English:
noun (plural same or Gullahs)
1A member of a black people living on the coast of South Carolina and nearby islands.
- As the tour concludes, you will see St. Philip's Church - the oldest congregation south of the Mason-Dixon Line - where, Gullahs say, God lives.
- Since the 1950s, however, Gullahs residing on the Sea Islands have been adversely affected by an influx of resort developers and the construction of bridges to the mainland.
- Preserving traditions nurtured in the state, particularly music forms created by the Gullahs, will be just as critical as preserving those nurtured throughout the region, he adds.
2 [mass noun] The Creole language of the Gullah, having an English base with elements from various West African languages. It has about 125,000 speakers.
- Drawing on the lowcountry's culture of Gullah - a Creole language with African and English elements spoken by slaves and their descendants - Brown gives tourists chills with his description of boo hags.
- Another language spoken by some Liberian Americans is Gullah, a Creole language with influences from the Gola ethnic group of Liberia.
- While the extent of African influence on Southern AmE remains a subject for debate, it is generally agreed that African influences remain in Gullah, a Creole spoken on the offshore islands of South Carolina and Georgia.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Gullah or their language.
- The Gullah people are direct descendents of these slaves and their language, a mix of African dialects and Elizabethan English, is considered to be the only surviving English-based patois in North America.
- Those who study the history of humans often compare the Gullah story to that of the Cajuns (first referred to as Acadians) of Southern Louisiana.
- Some linguists classify the Gullah language, spoken in the North Carolina islands, as a pidgin that is based on West African syntax.
Perhaps a shortening of Angola, or from Gola, the name of an agricultural people of Liberia and Sierra Leone.
Definition of Gullah in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan