noun (plural same or Gullahs)
- 1A member of a black people living on the coast of South Carolina and nearby islands.More example sentences
- As the tour concludes, you will see St. Philip's Church - the oldest congregation south of the Mason-Dixon Line - where, Gullahs say, God lives.
- Since the 1950s, however, Gullahs residing on the Sea Islands have been adversely affected by an influx of resort developers and the construction of bridges to the mainland.
- Preserving traditions nurtured in the state, particularly music forms created by the Gullahs, will be just as critical as preserving those nurtured throughout the region, he adds.
- 2 [mass noun] The Creole language of the Gullah, having an English base with elements from various West African languages. It has about 125,000 speakers.More example sentences
- Drawing on the lowcountry's culture of Gullah - a Creole language with African and English elements spoken by slaves and their descendants - Brown gives tourists chills with his description of boo hags.
- Another language spoken by some Liberian Americans is Gullah, a Creole language with influences from the Gola ethnic group of Liberia.
- While the extent of African influence on Southern AmE remains a subject for debate, it is generally agreed that African influences remain in Gullah, a Creole spoken on the offshore islands of South Carolina and Georgia.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the Gullah or their language.More example sentences
- The Gullah people are direct descendents of these slaves and their language, a mix of African dialects and Elizabethan English, is considered to be the only surviving English-based patois in North America.
- Those who study the history of humans often compare the Gullah story to that of the Cajuns (first referred to as Acadians) of Southern Louisiana.
- Some linguists classify the Gullah language, spoken in the North Carolina islands, as a pidgin that is based on West African syntax.
perhaps a shortening of Angola, or from Gola, the name of an agricultural people of Liberia and Sierra Leone.
More definitions of GullahDefinition of Gullah in:
- The US English dictionary