- A routine blood test carried out on babies a few days after birth to detect the condition phenylketonuria.More example sentences
- The Guthrie test (bacterial inhibition assay) is one of the tests used to determine the phenylalanine level in the blood.
- The heel prick test (Guthrie test) is done on all newborn babies shortly after birth to identify PKU at an early age.
- Babies are given a blood test (heel prick test or Guthrie test) when they are born, to look for some serious conditions such as sickle cell disease, under-active thyroid, phenylketonuria, and cystic fibrosis.
named after Robert Guthrie (1916–95), American microbiologist.
More definitions of Guthrie testDefinition of Guthrie test in:
- The US English dictionary