Definition of Hades in English:
1The underworld; the land of the spirits of the dead.
1.2 informal Hell.
- When I tried to help these patients my practice and my life descended into the equivalent of a medical Hades.
- My life, also know as Hades, turned into hell when my mother passed away.
- Andy, Markie, and Sarah all got in a Hades and warned Kevin not to shoot them.
hell, the underworld, the land/abode of the dead, the infernal regions, the netherworld, the nether regions, the abyss;
eternal damnation, eternal punishment, perdition;
Roman Mythology Avernus;
Scandinavian Mythology Niflheim;
British the other place
literary the pit, the shades
archaic the lower world
- 1Hadean adjective
- Example sentences
- ‘It's been an article of faith that the Hadean period was a hellish time, but it's time to come up with a new name,’ he said.
- You might wish to start in the Cenozoic Era (65 million years ago to the present) and work back through time, or start with Hadean time (4.5 to 3.8 billion years ago) and journey forward to the present day.
- The Hadean has also sometimes been called the Priscoan.
From Greek Haidēs, of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with HadesMercedes
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.