Definition of Hanoverian in English:
Relating to the royal house of Hanover.
- After Queen Anne's death and the discontinuation of the Royal Touch by the Hanoverian monarchs in Britain, the practice continued in earnest in France.
- Her branch of the Hanoverian royal house only took over when the last Stuart monarch, Anne, died childless in 1714 and they had to bypass 70-odd better claimants because they were Catholic.
- With the death of his elder brother the duke of York in 1827, he became heir presumptive to the Hanoverian throne, since his niece Princess Victoria could not inherit it.
nounBack to top
1 (usually the Hanoverians) Any of the British sovereigns from George I to Victoria.
- The issue of direct royal control over the army largely died away during the reign of Queen Anne and the Hanoverians.
- The colonial militias were transplants from England, modeled on the home defense forces successively raised and reformed under the Tudors, the Stuarts, and the Hanoverians.
- Under the Hanoverians the heir to the throne supported opposition to his father's government almost as a matter of course.
2A medium-built horse of a German breed, developed for use both as a riding horse and in harness.
- Spend the nights in fly - camps, then gallop with Africa's wildlife, on thoroughbreds, Namibian Hanoverians and Kalahari Arabs from 14-16.2 hands high.
- The Germans preferred solid Hanoverians and Trakheners, and one German officer commented on the ‘cat-like Arab mounts’ ridden by French hussars.
- The bay Hanoverian continued to rise to the occasion, putting in a smooth performance to his Spanish themed music called ‘Peruvian Prince.’
Words that rhyme with Hanoverianagrarian, antiquarian, apiarian, Aquarian, Arian, Aryan, authoritarian, barbarian, Bavarian, Bulgarian, Caesarean (US Cesarean), centenarian, communitarian, contrarian, Darien, disciplinarian, egalitarian, equalitarian, establishmentarian, fruitarian, Gibraltarian, grammarian, humanitarian, Hungarian, latitudinarian, libertarian, librarian, majoritarian, millenarian, necessarian, necessitarian, nonagenarian, octogenarian, ovarian, Parian, parliamentarian, planarian, predestinarian, prelapsarian, proletarian, quadragenarian, quinquagenarian, quodlibetarian, Rastafarian, riparian, rosarian, Rotarian, sabbatarian, Sagittarian, sanitarian, Sauveterrian, sectarian, seminarian, septuagenarian, sexagenarian, topiarian, totalitarian, Trinitarian, ubiquitarian, Unitarian, utilitarian, valetudinarian, vegetarian, veterinarian, vulgarian
Definition of Hanoverian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.