- 1A medieval guild of merchants.More example sentences
- The Hanse merchants were a special case, and could have their own base in Lynn.
- As we noted in Part III, in northern Europe, the city league known as the Hanse became the dominant unit in this region, while in southern Europe, the Italian city-states flourished.
- During Elizabeth's reign they succeeded in seeing off the challenge of the Hanse, but protests against their monopoly persisted and the advocates of free trade gained ground.
Middle English: from Old French hanse 'guild, company', from Old High German hansa 'company, troop'.
More definitions of HanseDefinition of Hanse in:
- The US English dictionary