noun[mass noun] • trademark
- Handwoven tweed made in the Outer Hebrides in Scotland, especially on the island of Lewis and Harris: a length of Harris tweed [as modifier]: a Harris tweed suit [count noun]: a real Harris tweed repels water wonderfullyMore example sentences
- ‘Ach, well,’ he said, ‘there's plenty to see for free,’ and he proceeded to take me on a detour to view a 2,000-year-old battlement, then past a home where, through the open garage door, we could see a man weaving Harris tweed.
- Harris and Lewis, for example, are really one long island divided by a range of inhospitable, boulder-strewn mountains, but they produce the world-renowned Harris tweed, still made by hand on looms in islanders' homes.
- She added: ‘There will be an area devoted to renowned Scottish merchandise, such as whisky, knitwear, Harris tweed, and food but we will also showcase modern Scottish products.’
More definitions of Harris tweedDefinition of Harris tweed in:
- The US English dictionary