Definition of Hashemite in English:
A member of an Arab princely family claiming descent from Hashim, great-grandfather of Muhammad.
- The Hussein family are Hashemites, the tribe of Mohammed, the founder of Islam, and have been traditionally the keepers of Holy City of Mecca.
- It looks as though the Hashemites represent a moderate alternative power in Sunni Islam with descent from the Prophet that is also recognized by Shiite Muslims.
- Its initial contacts were with the Hashemites, a desert dynasty in Hejaz, now part of Saudi Arabia, which controlled the Muslim holy places of Mecca and Medina and sought to replace Ottoman rule with their own.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Hashemites.
- Without a hostile Iraq towering over it, Jordan's pro-Western Hashemite monarchy would likely come into full bloom.
- Indeed, paramount among all considerations, I argue, is the political economy of Hashemite regime security in understanding Jordan's changing foreign relations under King Abdullah.
- Under the Hashemite monarchy, which ruled from 1921 until 1958, Iraq adopted a parliamentary system modeled on that of its colonial master, the United Kingdom.
Words that rhyme with Hashemiteeremite • Fatimite
Definition of Hashemite in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.