Definition of Hasmonean in English:
Relating to or denoting the Jewish dynasty established by the Maccabees.
- There is no mention of the Second Temple, the Maccabees, the Hasmonean kingdom, Herod the Great, or the Jewish wars against the Romans - all key points in the city's history.
- The last two Hasmonean rulers (from the line of the Maccabees) were two brothers: Hyrcanus and Aristobolus.
- They start a new ruling dynasty in Israel - the Hasmonean dynasty - which lasts for 103 years and which is marked by a terrible moral and religious decline.
nounBack to top
A member of the Hasmonean dynasty.
- It can be argued that, as a descendant of the Hasmoneans, Josephus was heir to some orally transmitted family traditions.
- In First Maccabees none of the Hasmoneans are given the royal title, but they are addressed as leaders, while later John Hyrcanus will claim the title of king.
- The next ruler is Yochanan Hyrcanus, and we can see from his name the Greek influence that is creeping in - the Hasmoneans are becoming Hellenized.
Words that rhyme with HasmoneanActaeon, Aegean, aeon (US eon), Augean, Behan, Cadmean, Caribbean, Carolean, Chaldean, Cyclopean, empyrean, epicurean, European, Fijian, Galilean, Hebridean, Herculean, Ian, Jacobean, Kampuchean, Laodicean, lien, Linnaean (US Linnean), Maccabean, Mandaean (US Mandean), Medicean, monogenean, Nabataean (US Nabatean), Orphean, paean, paeon, pean, peon, Periclean, piscean, plebeian, Pyrenean, Pythagorean, Sabaean, Sadducean, Sisyphean, skean, Tanzanian, Tennesseean, Terpsichorean, theodicean, Tyrolean
Definition of Hasmonean in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.