- Relating to or denoting the Jewish dynasty established by the Maccabees.More example sentences
- There is no mention of the Second Temple, the Maccabees, the Hasmonean kingdom, Herod the Great, or the Jewish wars against the Romans - all key points in the city's history.
- The last two Hasmonean rulers (from the line of the Maccabees) were two brothers: Hyrcanus and Aristobolus.
- They start a new ruling dynasty in Israel - the Hasmonean dynasty - which lasts for 103 years and which is marked by a terrible moral and religious decline.
nounBack to top
- A member of the Hasmonean dynasty.More example sentences
- It can be argued that, as a descendant of the Hasmoneans, Josephus was heir to some orally transmitted family traditions.
- In First Maccabees none of the Hasmoneans are given the royal title, but they are addressed as leaders, while later John Hyrcanus will claim the title of king.
- The next ruler is Yochanan Hyrcanus, and we can see from his name the Greek influence that is creeping in - the Hasmoneans are becoming Hellenized.
from modern Latin Asmonaeus (from Greek Asamonaios, the grandfather of Mattathias, head of the Maccabees in the 2nd century bc) + -an.
More definitions of HasmoneanDefinition of Hasmonean in:
- The US English dictionary