- Any of the minute tubes which form a network in bone and contain blood vessels.More example sentences
- Vascular canals, called Volkmann's canals, traverse the long axis of the bone; they are always at right angles to Haversian canals.
- It is perforated by microscopic channels; the Haversian canals (described by Havers, an English physician in the seventeenth century) Blood vessels pass through these canals, and bone cells are arranged concentrically around them.
- Each Haversian canal is oriented along the long axis of the bone and contains blood vessels and nerves.
mid 19th century: named after Clopton Havers (1650–1702), English anatomist.
More definitions of Haversian canalDefinition of Haversian canal in:
- The US English dictionary