A phylum of single-celled aquatic animals that are related to the radiolarians. They have a spherical shell with fine radiating needle-like projections.
- Class Heliozoa, phylum Actinopoda, kingdom Protista
More example sentences
- Heliozoa have axopodia, long stiff projections of cytoplasm.
- Some groups found in vernal pools are Vorticella, Heliozoa, and Ameoba phylum.
- However, due to the discovery of many new species, and discoveries regarding the morphology of the Heliozoa, the classic scheme is no longer deemed acceptable.
modern Latin (plural), from Greek hēlios 'sun' + zōion 'animal'.
More definitions of HeliozoaDefinition of Heliozoa in:
- The US English dictionary