- 1Relating to or denoting a prolonged mountain-forming period (orogeny) in western Europe, eastern North America, and the Andes in the Upper Palaeozoic era, especially the Carboniferous and Permian periods.More example sentences
- The late granitic plutons of the NW Iberian Peninsula, the last important felsic magmatic event of the Hercynian orogeny, are distributed in bands parallel to the Ibero-Armorican arc.
- We show that these results allow us to constrain the late Carboniferous/early Permian tectonic setting for this part of the Hercynian belt of Europe.
- This makes them very unusual within the western European Hercynian belt and suggests a peculiar orogenic context.
late 16th century: from Latin Hercynia silva; the ancient name of an area of forested mountains in central Germany; later (from the late 19th century) applied in geology to the Harz Mountains formed in the Hercynian period.
More definitions of HercynianDefinition of Hercynian in:
- The US English dictionary