Definition of Hiligaynon in English:
noun (plural same or Hiligaynons)
1A member of a people inhabiting Panay, Negros, and other islands in the central Philippines.
- The Hiligaynon, like all Filipinos, enjoy watching television and going to the movies.
- Visayas, especially Hiligaynons, now comprise the majority of people living within the province.
- These are also part of our cultural heritage as Hiligaynons like the churches, old houses, old establishments, cemetery capillas, historical sites, etc.
2 [mass noun] The Austronesian language of the Hiligaynon, with about 5 million speakers. Also called Ilonggo.
- Other regions of Panay have their own distinct speech forms, but these are mutually intelligible with Hiligaynon.
- Half of the children were taught completely in English for four grades while other children were taught first for two years in Hiligaynon.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Hiligaynon or their language.
- The Hiligaynon language is the language of Iloilo province, which has come to be spoken throughout the Western Visayas region.
Definition of Hiligaynon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan