Definition of Himyarite in English:
A member of an ancient people of the SW part of the Arabian peninsula, who ruled much of southern Arabia before the 6th century ad.
- In Arabia, whole tribes converted to Judaism, including two kinds of the Himyarites.
- The Himyarites had by this time formed an alliance with the Persians and defeated the Ethiopian invaders.
- The monuments of these Himyarites were inscribed with an obsolete and mysterious alphabet.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Himyarites.
- Yet the kingdom was not Jewish, and its monotheism was but an expression of Himyarite independence.
- The town leaders climbed down the well next to where the Himyarite castle used to be in the walled city.
- A number of ancient empires, including the Minaean, Sabaean, and Himyarite, flourished in southern Yemen.
From the name Himyar (the name of a traditional king of Yemen) + -ite1.
Definition of Himyarite in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.