noun (plural same)
- 1A member of a people living in isolated mountain villages throughout SE Asia. Also called Miao.More example sentences
- It is found in many Japanese, in the Tibetans of the Himalayas and among isolated people of Southeast Asia, like the Hmong.
- The exact number of Hmong students is not available for the UW System, but the majority of the Southeast Asian students are Hmong.
- Minority groups in this small, mountainous country include the Mon-Khmer, the Yao, and the Hmong.
- 2 [mass noun] The language of the Hmong, occurring in a large number of highly distinct dialects.More example sentences
- The L1 writing prompts were translated by bilingual teaching professionals whose native languages were Spanish, Hmong, and Russian.
- Participants from the younger generations noted that they have difficulty speaking Hmong without using English.
- It turns out that this is a spelling of what is more usually written as Hmong.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to or denoting the Hmong or their language.More example sentences
- Some of the figures are even clinging to cut pieces of bamboo, seemingly recreating the tragic legend of the lost Hmong language.
- Participants felt that a generational shift in Hmong language and culture might be occurring for various reasons.
- Participants also had varying feelings about the Hmong language shifting.
The term Hmong is now usually preferred, as being the name the people use with reference to themselves, though the Chinese name Miao (or, in SE Asia, Meo) was until recently more common in English contexts.
More definitions of HmongDefinition of Hmong in:
- The US English dictionary