Definition of Holy Rood Day in English:
1The day on which the feast of the Invention of the Cross is held, 3 May.
- After refection or dinner, which, from Easter till Holy Rood Day, was at twelve o'clock, the meridian or noon-sleep was permitted.
- This is also Holy Rood Day, commemorating the rescue of the relic of the True Cross by Emperor Heraclius of Constantinople when it was carried off by Chosroes II, King of Persia in 614.
- In Hemyock itself a revel was held the Sunday after Holy Rood Day.
2 another term for Holy Cross Day.
- This day is also called the Exaltation of the Cross, Elevation of the Cross, Holy Cross Day, Holy Rood Day, or Roodmas.
- In earlier days in the Church of England, this feast was called "Holy Rood Day," since "rood" means "cross."
- The 14th September 1128 was Holy Rood Day.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India