- (In the Roman Catholic Church) a period of remission from the penal consequences of sin, granted under certain conditions for a year usually at intervals of twenty-five years.More example sentences
- The agreement was signed under the pretext of ensuring less disruption for the projected 30 million pilgrims and tourists who will visit the country during the Roman Catholic Church's Holy Year 2000.
- John Paul, in preparation for the Holy Year of 2000, would entrust the whole world to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, a pious act that was replete with anti-Communist significance.
- A Holy Year pilgrimage in March 2000 took him to Jordan, Israel and the Palestinian Territories.
More definitions of Holy YearDefinition of Holy Year in:
- The US English dictionary