Definition of Hopi in English:
noun (plural same or Hopis)
1A member of a Pueblo Indian people living chiefly in NE Arizona.
- They like to be called what they are - Utes, Hopis, Zunis - and collectively, they answer to ‘first people’.
- With coal, natural gas, oil and uranium minerals resources, the Hopis are members of the Council of Energy Resource Tribes.
- They share this language with tribes to the south of them, as well as with the Hopis in the Four Corners region of Arizona, Utah, Colorado and New Mexico.
2 [mass noun] The Uto-Aztecan language of the Hopi, with around 2,000 speakers.
- He never actually spoke to a native speaker of Hopi, or even got closer to one than about 200 miles.
- Young and Morgan point out that Navajo, like Japanese, Hopi, Korean, and Persian, is a verb-final language following a subject/object/verb pattern.
- Most Hopis today, including the younger generations, speak both Hopi and English.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Hopi or their language.
- Phoebe Hearst bought most of the tastefully draped baskets and blankets, Hopi kachina dolls, and Navajo silver in her Pleasanton house from the Fred Harvey Company of Albuquerque - once again playing it safe.
- Near the top there are more canyon views, but the sand paintings depicting Hopi legends, and the design of the building itself, have a way of commanding your attention.
- The Hopi Snake dance is the well-known ‘classic example’.
The name in Hopi.
Words that rhyme with Hopidopey, Opie, ropy, soapy, topi
Definition of Hopi in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan