Definition of Hun in English:
1A member of a warlike Asiatic nomadic people who invaded and ravaged Europe in the 4th-5th centuries.
- In the fourth century, the Huns, a nomadic people from central Asia, began attacking the German tribes.
- In the first two decades of the 5th century, the Huns arrived in central Europe and subjugated many Germanic peoples.
- But no one really knows what kind of language Hunnic was, which is odd considering what a big splash Attila and the Huns made across Asia and Europe in the 5th century AD.
2 informal , derogatory A German (especially during the First and Second World Wars).
2.1 (the Hun) Germans collectively: millions of boys were eager to go and fight the Hun
More example sentences
- I remember when I was fighting the Hun in North Africa, and me and the boys used to sit around and compare notes from home.
- Patton was quick to volunteer for an unofficial expeditionary force to fight the Hun's skeletal legions.
- They have put on uniforms and been drilled into rude shape to fight the Hun in World War I.
- Example sentences
- Like his distant ancestor and name-sake, the legendary Hunnish king, nicknamed ‘The Scourge of God’ by his contemporaries, Attila was a bit of a dare-devil.
- As well as being flogged for stupidity and persecuted for his Hunnish origins, he was flung down the kipper hole at the back of the school dining-room, along with meal scraps intended for pigs.
- They were discussing safe political subjects: the Hunnish threat on the Danube frontier; the Vandal threat to the wheat-ships from Egypt; the Visigothic threat to the Roman towns in Gaul.
Words that rhyme with Hunbegun, bun, done, Donne, dun, fine-spun, forerun, fun, gun, Gunn, hon, none, nun, one, one-to-one, outdone, outgun, outrun, plus-one, pun, run, shun, son, spun, stun, sun, ton, tonne, tun, underdone, Verdun, won
Definition of Hun in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan