A small order of mammals that comprises the hyraxes.
More example sentences
- We now think that their real affinities lie with the Sirenia, Hyracoidea, and Proboscidea.
- The orders Hyracoidea, Macroscelides, Sirenia, Proboscidea, and Tubulidentata were grouped into a single clade called Afrotheria.
- One or both segments were obtained from species belonging to primates, Cetartiodactyla, Carnivora, and Hyracoidea, but not from mouse or hamster.
modern Latin (plural), based on Greek hurax, hurak- (see hyrax).
- More example sentences
- Some other hyracoid species also showed a similar adaptation, but the skeletal trait was most pronounced in Thyrohyrax, he added.
- It is so different from all other animals, that scientists have placed it in an order, or group, all by itself, hyracoids.
- It seems likely that the common ancestor of all three modern families was some kind of amphibious hyracoid.
Definition of Hyracoidea in:
- The US English dictionary