(also Iceland lichen)
A brown branching lichen with stiff spines along the margins of the fronds, growing in mountain and moorland habitats. It can be boiled to produce an edible jelly.
- Cetraria islandica, order Parmeliales
More example sentences
- The two lichens of economic importance are Iceland moss, Cetraria islandica, and reindeer moss, Cladonia rangiferina.
- On our moss-covered trails, mats of shrubby gray reindeer lichen and Iceland lichen are common.
- In excessive doses or with prolonged use, Iceland moss can cause gastric irritation and liver problems.
More definitions of Iceland mossDefinition of Iceland moss in:
- The US English dictionary