Definition of Illyrian in English:
1Relating to the ancient region of Illyria: Illyrian tribes
More example sentences
- The name ‘Albania’ is derived from an ancient Illyrian tribe, the Albanoi, who inhabited part of modern-day Albania from around 1225 BC to AD 200.
- Half a century before Christ the Thracians occupied Hungary east of the Danube, while Hungary west of the Danube was the home of Celtic and Illyrian tribes.
- Eventually, the Aitolians had to be recalled to help their former enemies in Epirus against Demetrios's savage Illyrian raiders.
nounBack to top
1A native or inhabitant of ancient Illyria.
- The first known inhabitants were the Illyrians, followed by the Celts in the fourth century, and the Romans a century after that.
- The national ideology insists on an unequivocal ethnic relationship with the ancient Illyrians.
- Albanians descend from the ancient Illyrians.
Words that rhyme with IllyrianAssyrian, Syrian, Tyrian
Definition of Illyrian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan