- 1The doctrine that God preserved the Virgin Mary from the taint of original sin from the moment she was conceived; it was defined as a dogma of the Roman Catholic Church in 1854.More example sentences
- In 1854 he defined the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary (the Mother of Jesus Christ) and encouraged the Marian cult.
- Throughout the centuries, the Franciscan Order promoted the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception, which sought to absolve the Virgin of Original Sin, supposedly transmitted to her by St Anne.
- In Washington, the Catholic Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception is the largest church in the Western Hemisphere and eighth-largest in the world.
- 1.1The feast commemorating the Immaculate Conception on December 8th.More example sentences
- In December, 1999, Sr Elvira arrived at Aughtaboy with eight young men and the house was officially opened on the feast of the Immaculate Conception on December 8, 1999.
- The feast of Santiago on 25 July is a national holiday, as is the feast of the Immaculate Conception, 8 December, which is also Spain's Mother's Day.
- There will be an all-night vigil at Knock shrine on Sunday, December 7, in preparation for the feast of the Immaculate Conception on December 8.
More definitions of Immaculate ConceptionDefinition of Immaculate Conception in:
- The US English dictionary