noun[usually with modifier] Chess
- A defence in which Black responds to White’s advance of the queen’s pawn by moving the king’s knight to square f6, usually following with a fianchetto: King’s Indian defence Queen’s Indian defenceMore example sentences
- He never equalized in the King's Indian defence, and his opponent picked up two black pawns in going to an opposite colored bishops ending.
- A King's Indian defence turned into another nightmare for the Russian.
- The sequence could well have trickled into the fourth board but the Ukrainian was lucky to win a drawish game, which arose from the Queen's Indian defence, against his tentative opponent.
More definitions of Indian defenceDefinition of Indian defence in:
- The US English dictionary