The elephant of southern Asia, which is smaller than the African elephant, with smaller ears and only one lip to the trunk. It is often tamed as a beast of burden in India. Also called Asian elephant.
- Elephas maximus, family Elephantidae
More example sentences
- Elephants have massive ossicles with total weight in the Indian elephant of approximately 650 mg.
- Local tradition holds that the East India Trading Company gifted Indian elephants to the Sultan of Sulu (a nearby island) in 1750.
- Sometimes called the Indian elephant, this animal is also found in the dense forests and grassy plains of Sri Lanka, Burma, Thailand, Malaya, and Sumatra.
More definitions of Indian elephantDefinition of Indian elephant in:
- The US English dictionary