The elephant of southern Asia, which is smaller than the African elephant, with smaller ears and only one lip to the trunk. It is often tamed as a beast of burden in India. Also called Asian elephant.
- Elephas maximus, family Elephantidae
More example sentences
- Elephants have massive ossicles with total weight in the Indian elephant of approximately 650 mg.
- Local tradition holds that the East India Trading Company gifted Indian elephants to the Sultan of Sulu (a nearby island) in 1750.
- Sometimes called the Indian elephant, this animal is also found in the dense forests and grassy plains of Sri Lanka, Burma, Thailand, Malaya, and Sumatra.
Definition of Indian elephant in:
- The US English dictionary