- A plant with a yellowish stem and a single drooping flower, native to North America and NE Asia. It lacks chlorophyll and obtains nourishment via symbiotic fungi in its roots.
More example sentences
- Monotropa uniflora, family Monotropaceae
- The Indian pipe is a saprophyte, living chiefly on the decaying roots of other plants, particularly trees.
- The flowers are inodorous, and appear from June until September; their resemblance to a pipe has given rise to the names Indian pipe or Pipe-plant.
- They appear to be parasitic on the fungi as no benefit to the fungus from its association with the Indian pipe has been discerned.
More definitions of Indian pipeDefinition of Indian pipe in:
- The US English dictionary