A large one-horned rhinoceros with prominent skin folds and a prehensile upper lip, found in NE India and Nepal.
- Rhinoceros unicornis, family Rhinocerotidae
More example sentences
- The biblical unicorn may have been a wild ox, but the great Indian rhinoceros is similar to a unicorn: it has a single horn, usually about 53 cm long, and is among the rarest mammals in the world today.
- Written by a lady who has lived in South East Asia for 30 years, this is a true story about an orphaned elephant ‘adopted’ by an Indian rhinoceros.
- Somewhat later, Marco Polo gave a description of an animal that can be identified as the Indian rhinoceros.
More definitions of Indian rhinocerosDefinition of Indian rhinoceros in:
- The US English dictionary