Definition of Indo-Iranian in English:
Relating to a subfamily of Indo-European languages spoken in northern India and Iran.
- The Ossetes speak an Indo-Iranian language, and are thought to descend from Sarmatian nomads.
- Part of the Indo-Iranian subfamily of the Indo-European family of languages, Bengali is derived from Sanskrit, as are Hindi and Urdu.
- The Baluchi language is an Indo-Iranian language of the Indo-European family.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
The Indo-Iranian subfamily of languages, divided into the Indic group and the Iranian group. Also called Aryan.
- Repeating the exercise, we analyze the related languages - Latin, Celtic, Greek, Baltic, Slavic, Albanian, Armenian, Anatolian, Hittite, Indo-Iranian, and Tocharian.
- The term is applied to a large group of cognate languages, including the majority of European language groups as well as Indo-Iranian (Persian and Hindi) and Sanskrit.
Definition of Indo-Iranian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan