Definition of Ionian in English:
1A member of an ancient Hellenic people inhabiting Attica, parts of western Asia Minor, and the Aegean islands in pre-classical times. Apparently displaced from some areas by the Dorians in the 11th or 12th century bc, they retained their settlements in Attica, especially Athens, where they were responsible for some of the greatest achievements of classical Greece.
- Herodotus speaks of Ionians, Dorians, Herakleeidai, and Akhaians among the Greeks, that is, with aggregative self-definitions.
- Thurii, an Athenian colony established in 444/3 in southern Italy on the site of Sybaris, constitutes a special case in the colonial pattern, since individuals from several poleis, both Ionian and Dorian, joined in the settlement.
- He consulted Bias about the best way to deploy warships against the Ionians of the Aegean islands.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Ionians, Ionia, or the Ionian Islands.
- Histiaeus overboldly promised to regain the allegiance of Miletus and other Ionian cities that Aristagoras, his appointed deputy and relative, had led into rebellion.
- In general, these new ideas came as a result of an influx of Ionian thinkers into the Attic peninsula.
- Making detailed use of a wealth of archival information, Gallant vividly reconstructs nineteenth-century Ionian life.
Words that rhyme with IonianAberdonian, Amazonian, Apollonian, Babylonian, Baconian, Bostonian, Caledonian, Catalonian, Chalcedonian, Ciceronian, Devonian, draconian, Estonian, Etonian, gorgonian, Johnsonian, Laconian, Macedonian, Miltonian, Newtonian, Oregonian, Oxonian, Patagonian, Plutonian, Tennysonian, Tobagonian, Washingtonian
Definition of Ionian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.