An extinct giant European and North African deer of the Pleistocene epoch, with massive antlers up to 3 m (10 ft) across. Also called giant deer.
- Megaloceros giganteus, family Cervidae
More example sentences
- Scientists at University College London studied DNA and skeletal remains of the extinct giant deer, or Irish elk, to construct its family tree.
- The antlers of the giant deer, or Irish elk, grew as large as 10 feet across.
- The Irish elk finally went extinct when the antlers became so large that the animals could no longer hold up their heads, or got entangled in the trees.
Definition of Irish elk in:
- The US English dictionary